Preparation time: less than 20 minutes
Cooking time: less than 10 mins
Adapted from Chinese Food Made Easy By Ching-He Huang on BBC Food.
These spicy beef wraps with wasabi mayonnaise make a tasty snack or packed lunch.
For the stir fry
400g/14oz beef or buffalo minute steak
2 tbsp groundnut oil
1 tsp Shaoxing rice wine (available from some supermarkets and Asian
grocers) or substitute with dry sherry
1 tbsp light soy sauce
pinch sea salt
1 large handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1 spring onion, finely sliced
For the wasabi mayonnaise
1 tsp wasabi paste (available from some supermarkets and Asian
3 tbsp mayonnaise
pinch caster sugar
For the spicy coating
1-2 tbsp ground cumin (to taste)
1-2 tbsp dried chilli flakes (to taste)
1 tsp ground black pepper
ó tsp sea salt
warm flour tortilla wraps
1. Cut the minute steak into slices.
2. For the wasabi mayonnaise, mix all of the wasabi mayonnaise
ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. For the spicy coating, mix all of the coating ingredients together on a
plate. Roll the beef slices in the spice mix, then shake off any
4. Heat a wok until smoking and add the groundnut oil, then add the
beef and stir-fry for one minute, or until browned. Add the rice wine
and season with the soy sauce and a pinch of salt. Remove from the
heat and stir in the coriander and spring onion.
5. To serve, wrap the spicy beef in the tortillas and top with the wasabi
mayonnaise. Serve immediately.